Anxiety, Panic Attacks and Anxiety Disorders can have a huge impact on a an individual’s day to day life.
Anxiety challenges can affect a person’s health and well-being, relationships, work, social activities… it is often deeply dis-empowering, dampens a person’s self-esteem, self-worth. This often lead to further emotional and mental behavioural patterns such as withdrawal, isolation which can trigger depression.
So what is ANXIETY?
Anxiety is a feeling of worry, unease, nervousness which we all suffer at times. But long term chronic anxiety is unhealthy and unhelpful. If you suffer from long-term anxiety difficulties it may be an Anxiety Disorder. Many people suffer from Panic Attacks with their Anxiety. But with the right sort of support and advice many people suffering from anxiety disorders go back to living a normal, happy and healthy life.
“Anxiety is a psychological, physiological, and behavioral state induced in animals and humans by a threat to well-being or survival, either actual or potential. It is characterized by increased arousal, expectancy, autonomic and neuroendocrine activation, and specific behavior patterns. The function of these changes is to facilitate coping with an adverse or unexpected situation. Pathological anxiety interferes with the ability to cope successfully with life challenges. “The biology of fear- and anxiety-related behaviours, Steimer, T. (2002)
Letting Go of Chronic Anxiety!
I helped clients lets go of chronic anxiety by using a combination approach that helped empowering them and helped switch off the initial trigger and the hyper-arousal state that often keeps a person in an the anxiety and stress cycle. This included helping the client
1. Understand what anxiety is- taking the FEAR out of their experiences, feelings…
2. Teach them how to RELAX, switch off from the “anxiety response” and “stress response” into the “relaxed response”
3. By eliminating distorted and over thinking habits through various strategies including meditation, cbt and a few others …
4. For clients with post traumatic stress or trauma a little extra support with for example a flower essence analysis and prescription
5. And other highly effective Anxiety & Stress Management strategies which encourages healthier lifestyle changes.
One of the biggest mistakes many therapists make when treating chronic anxiety is using focused breathe meditations right away. Before bring the client from a state of hyper-arousal, this can actually lead to total obsession of the breath. One of the reasons I teach relaxation techniques first and foremost.